After hearing about a couple getting stranded in a mountain pass off-roading and the driver dying while seeking help, I thought I should talk about key elements around surviving out in the cold. People are often overcome by the cold simply due to lack of pre-planning, proper equipment and an adequate plan for survival until rescue help arrives. If you’ve ever wondered what you would do if you were lost, stranded or overcome by the winter elements, be sure to watch this episode of RoyOnRescue.
In the meantime, remember at least these important points:
1. Let people know where you are going and what route you’ll be taking…then stick to it!
2. Dress with layers of clothing or have extra clothing available
3. Bring warming agents like hand and pocket warmers along with extra blankets
4. Bring extra food that can handle getting cold or even freezing like granola, nuts etc.
5. Eat snow for hydration
6. Bring GPS
7. Bring Flare Gun
8. Never drive with low gas tank
9. If the roads are dangerous, maybe stay home or extend your vacation
10. Repeat steps 1 thru 9
Tags: core temp, CPR, eating snow, first aid, freezing, hypothermia, lost in mountains, lost in the snow, medical blog, ProCPR, ProFirstAid, Roy Shaw, royonrescue, snow, snow rescue, snow storm survival, stranded in snow, survive blizzard, Vlog